17 Ocak 2012 Salı


                                                                JOURNAL 5


                                                             EARTHQUAKES

          Earthquake is a type of catastrophe which we might experience. Earthquake is the result of a sudden release of energy in the Earth’s crust that creates seismic waves. Earthquake is also known as a quake, tremor or temblor. Earthquakes occur naturally. Earthquake is destructive. It causes to shaking, landslides and avalanches, fires, tsunami and floods.
          
          The largest earthquake that has been measured in Turkey occurred on 17 August 1999. I was six years old at that time. My parents woke up me and my brothers and we went out. That night everybody, who was living in our street, went out and we spent the night out of doors. I was afraid, but that night was also nice. I played games with my friends. Our neighbors made tea. We sat around the light of a lamp all night. That night is memorable for me.
         
          First earthquake, which I feel by myself, occurred last year when I was at high school. My roommates and I were sitting in our room. Suddenly the beds and windows started to shake. We were so scared. I didn’t know what to do. Then I heard the voice of the teacher on duty. She said that we must go out. I took my purse and mobile phone and went out in our pajamas. Approximately we waited for one hour in the dormitory’s garden. I felt so different, because I felt the earthquake for the first time. When we entered the dormitory, we were still afraid. I couldn’t sleep until late hours at that night.
          
                  The last major earthquake, which we experienced in recent months, was the earthquake occurred in Van. This was magnitude 7.2. Hundreds of buildings collapsed. Hundreds of people died and injured there. Various grants were sent from four side of Turkey.
         
         Catastrophes are events which we don’t want to occur, but these are inevitable. Minimizing the risk of damage is possible. Buildings and other structures must be designed as earthquake-resistant. Building owners must have earthquake insurance and people must be informed about earthquakes. 

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder